Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Psalm 40 - God's Plan

Psalm 40 is such a comfort. Read as David recounts how God "heard my cry" and "lifted me out of the slimy pit".

Are you in a "slimy pit" right now? Have you ever been. Oh, yes, know it well.

What a picture this psalm paints. God lifted David out of the slimy pit and put his feet on a rock.

Being out of work, this really speaks to me. Unemployment can feel like a slimy pit, for sure. I feel like I'm sinking. Like I'll never work again.

The first line of this Psalm is key, though. The Psalm starts off, "I waited patiently for the Lord". No! Ugh! There's that "waiting" thing again. Oh, waiting is not my favorite thing to do, but in David's case, he waited "patiently". If that's not the hardest thing to do, I don't know what is.

We have to wait patiently on God. Why? I wondered that, but I think, and this is just my opinion, is that it shows our faith in God. If we are patiently waiting on God, we show Him that we trust Him to do the right thing for us at precisely the right time. Not easy. No, not easy at all, but we see what the fruit of waiting patiently is. The Lord hears us and lifts us out of our slimy pit.

Then, later in the Psalm, David talks about "proclaiming righteousness in the great assembly". Once God pulls us out of that pit, we should tell everyone we can about it. Shout it! It says that "many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord" because of what He's done for us..

How can people see the love of God, unless we show them how He loves us?

So, we cry out to God, wait patiently for Him to answer us, then we proclaim that to as many people as we can and then people will come to know and put their trust in Him!

That's God's plan.

Sound like a good one!

Sounds PERFECT to me!

God bless you.

No comments: